Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Web 2.0

The discussion on Web 2.0 that took place on the first day of class reminded me a lot of a book I read last semester, The World is Flat. The book explored the history of technology, globalization, and discussed ways in which America must compete with the rest of the world in order to stay on top in the new "flat" world. The book explored a number of different topics including Web 2.0 and how the internet is constantly changing the world for better or worse.
I consider myself to be pretty knowledgable about Web 2.0 technologies: blogs, flicker, photobucket, myspace, facebook, wikis, web tagging, etc., but there is always more to learn and always more to explore as these technologies evolve. For example, until last class I had no idea about igoogle's capabilities. After class I quickly set igoogle up as my homepage on my desktop and I am loving it.
Preparing for a career in the technical communication field I know that this class will be very helpful to me and I am excited to dive into the projects and learn some cool stuff.

2 comments:

Come and See Africa said...

Did you read "The World is Flat" in a class?

Monsties said...

Yes, I read "The World if Flat" in a DAI class last semester. It opened my eyes to a lot of things, scared me, and inspired me all at once. I think every student, no matter their major, should read this book.