Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Learning in the Digital Age

The article "Learning in the Digital Age" by John Seely Brown discusses the shift in way people learn and develop knowledge and how certain universities are making new strides in order to accommodate this new learning style.
Brown comments that "learning is a remarkably social process" and that "it occurs not as a response to teaching, but rather as a result of a social framework that fosters learning." In the past most teaching methods were based on a lecture basis and not so much on a hands on and collaborative basis, but since the dawn of the digital age the way students learn has shifted and therefore educators have felt the need to adapt.
Many universities are "stepping up their educational game" by introducing "enculturation" into their curriculum, in which students "can watch, listen, and peripherally participate" in their subject matter and really start to understand their community of interest. At MIT, the "prototype physics studio mixes lecture, recitation, and hands-on laboratory experience" in order for students to participate in a more active learning style.
While many more universities are realizing the need for their teaching tactics to adapt to their students learning styles, many other schools and educators are resisting the change and damaging the potential of their students. Nicole Herz, an Asian Studies professor quotes "in other words, we refuse to learn from the culture and technology that thrives outside the university--the visualizing, messaging, and innovating driven by the young."
Just like with any kind of shift or progress, there are going to be people who are scared of it and not willing to adapt. I think what surprises me most is that I would never expect the kind of people that would resist progress would be educators, but as I reflect on my educational history it is clear to me. It was not until I came to San Francisco State University that I witnessed the type of "encultural" teaching methods that are so essential in this day in age. In high school and even at my junior college these important tactics were never practiced and barely discussed. If universities are changing their methods of teaching, I believe it is just as crucial, if not more crucial, for all levels of education to follow the same path. I think if our country can get up to speed with these digital age advances than we would see a larger number of kids graduating high school and many more kids interested in pursuing higher education. In order for America to maintain our status and competitiveness, these changes are essential and should no longer be ignored or put on the back burner.

3 comments:

Come and See Africa said...

We really need to address digital gap , not only at the global level but also here in US too. I am glad that you noticed SFSU's efforts for multicultural and "encultural" teaching methods.

**I like your wikibook for itec 830

kurt_itec830 said...

Your post prompted me to ask my nieces/nephews how their school day is structured.

They live in a suburb of Philadelphia and being well above average they excel in school, particlularly science as their mom teaches botany at Penn- ages 13 - 6.

Although they do more group/project based work they still spend a good part of their day sitting quietly and learning by rote.

B. Rodrigues said...

yeah sometimes you can't teach old dogs new tricks. some people (including educators) stick with what they know to work for their whole career. I remember I was working for a college teacher who talked to much (the students said of course). One day a student asked her how to apply the right-click of a PC to a Mac. She said it wasn't possible. I then told the student it was possible. and I showed her. from then on that teacher aimed to fire me.hehehe but I'm mean the point is pride is a powerful sin. It just kills people and new inovative ways of learning.